Hiring a Student Employee
Handshake is the University Career Center's online recruiting platform. As an on-campus employer, you will need a Handshake account in order to post jobs and recruit students. Follow this guide to learn how to create an account.
Posting a Position
All on-campus hourly (S09996 and S09997) student jobs MUST be posted via Handshake, and all Research and Teaching Assistant positions will be managed by Human Resources. Departments should use the How to Post a Student Employment Position guide as a tool to assist in creating job postings. If the department contact does not have a Handshake account, see these instructions for setting up an account.
The University of Texas at Dallas is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, pregnancy, age, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
The Student Employment Office is dedicated to making sure all new hires are authorized to work as efficiently and expediently as possible. To accomplish this, it is crucial to have awareness of the overall process involved in hiring a student employee. Departments should set realistic expectations with their student employees and additional staff in regard to the processing times for hiring a student worker or student assistant.
Steps in the current hiring process are summarized below with best practices included:
|1. Hiring Proposal Form|
The hiring department must complete and sign all required fields on the Hiring Proposal Form (HPF).
- This document is an eForm and will be completed online, then automatically routed straight us.
- The preferred start date is a date in the future, preferably 5-7 business days from the day the hiring proposal is submitted to the Student Employment Office.
- The Student Employment Office requires only one departmental signature on the form but follow any applicable departmental guidelines regarding multiple signature requirements.
- Every Hiring Proposal must have a Handshake Job ID#.
- If students need a Social Security Card, the Hiring Proposal Form will be used as their offer letter, and students must access the IComet portal to obtain the necessary forms from ISSO. All forms should be submitted to the Office of Social Security Administration.
|2. Criminal Background Check|
New-hire students must complete a background check as required for all employees of the university. The student will receive an invite to complete their criminal background check online courtesy of our vendor, HireRight.
The background check email will come from [email protected] and will look similar to the image below. Please inform the student to complete the background check at their earliest convenience.
|3. Review & Processing|
Once both documents are submitted, the student employment team will review and process them.
- Job offers will be extended to selected candidates contingent upon results received from the CBC.
- All department contacts listed on the HPF will be copied on job offer emails.
|4. New-Hire Paperwork|
The job offer email will include instructions for the student to schedule an appointment to complete their new-hire paperwork. Students must complete their paperwork in-person with the student employment team on or before the first day of work, as indicated in the job offer email. Students may not begin work until employment eligibility has been verified by the student employment team. Once complete, the student employment team will send a follow-up email to the student and department contacts, indicating the student may begin work as scheduled.
|5. ePAR Submission|
Upon completion of the new-hire paperwork, the Payroll Office will initiate an ePAR. If the student is simply changing roles or transferring from another department, the hiring department must initiate the transfer ePAR
- Online timesheets will be made available after the ePAR has completed the approval cycle and the student’s information has been confirmed in PeopleSoft.
- Supervisors must assign new hires a timesheet manager.
- After a timesheet manager has been assigned, students will have access to timesheets and may begin recording hours worked. Please note: Students will not have immediate access to timesheets after on-boarding is complete. It can take up to 14 business days after paperwork is complete before timesheets are available in Galaxy. Students should keep track of the days and hours they have worked to enter that information on their timesheet when it becomes available.
- For additional information from Payroll, including instructions and deadlines please see their website here: https://www.utdallas.edu/finance/payroll/